Thursday, August 4, 2011

Exploring Shanghai




I had the opportunity to visit the largest city (by population) in the Republic of China, Shanghai.

China has always been on the list of places I’d like to visit so, I was thrilled when I was invited to the International Property Awards Summit & Gala in Shanghai. With great expectation, I pack my bag and went.

Before I proceed with details of my trip, let’s get to know Shanghai a little better.

  • The commercial and financial centre of mainland China was the largest and most prosperous city in the Far East during the 1930s, and rapid re-development began in 1990s. This is exemplified by the Pudong District (where I stayed!), which became a pilot area for integrated economic reforms.

  • Today, Shanghai is again one of the most prosperous cities in the world. Its cosmopolitan character, sophisticated and affluent consumers, and highly educated skilled labor force make it highly attractive to investors.

  • Shanghai has recorded double-digit growth for 15 consecutive years since 1992 to become the centre of finance and trade in new China and now aiming to be a global finance hub and international shipping centre.

Shanghai has a rich collection of buildings and structures. I am a big fan of buildings and architectural styles and I must say, Shanghai by far has the most distinctive buildings I have ever seen.

It is a beautiful and inspiring city with two sides; the rapid growth, skyscrapers and then peace. Despite rampant redevelopment, the old city still retains some buildings of a traditional style.

~Cheers!

No comments:

Water Business!

Let’s talk about one of the most important consumer items — water, or more precisely bottled water (be it still, reverse osmosis or whatev...