Saturday, March 26, 2011

Phuket :: Day One

For those that know me, I love travelling. So when I got a fantastic deal with a tour to Phuket, I jumped at the opportunity to join. It was a 4days 3 nights trip and quite honestly, I needed the trip. Things have been pretty crazy at work (which is good!) and I need to recharge.

I did a bit of research before we went and found out that Phuket and the surrounding islands of Thailand are simply amazing –that got me super excited as I am a self-proclaim beach person (who doesn’t know how to swim!).

So, lets check out my trip:

Day 1
My flight to Phuket was at 6:50am and arrived there approx 9:00am. We found our tour guide and he was just funny. His name is “Samphan”.

We were suppose to head straight to the hotel and have the entire day to ourselves as the tour will only take place the next 2 days. However, Samphan decided to move the last day’s programme, which is ‘Phuket Discovery Tour’ ahead. The hotel wont let us check in that early, so it seems like a good idea.

According to the itinerary:

Phuket Discovery Tour: In and around Phuket Town. You will see the Chino-Portuguese Style Building of Phuket, followed by visiting Saphan Hin Park, Cashew Nut Factory, Gems Factory, Birdnest Shop, Chalong Temple, Sea Gypsy Village, Rawai Beach, Prompthep Cape where you can view the panorama of its stunning beauty.
My professional review: Crap.

First stop was a T-shirt factory where the owners speak good Malay/Indonesian. The T-shirts I must say are of good quality and SUPER CHEAP! There was only one problem, the designs. I end up buying 1 t-shirt and a fridge magnet.

T-shirts

Next stop, a shop that sells junk food (I was not bothered to know what it was called). And along the way, Samphan pointed the village, the Phuket town etc etc. Basically it’s the non-tourist area. Samphan keep asking “Can you see any European here? Where? Where?...... [pause for 15 seconds] Where? Where? Can you see European? NO!”

Me: Ok, I got the point!

Next stop: A honey shop. We were greeted by a 78-year-old Malaysian who is currently living in Phuket. He brought into a presentation room and start talking about their product. Honey, Royal Jelly etc.

Next stop: A super huge gem shop (not factory!). By this point of time, I was getting restless as I couldn’t wait for the tour to end and jump into the pool.

Once everyone is back on the van, Samphan told us about our next stop(s!). I suggested to skip some, and he asked everyone else in the van. It was truly a miracle as everyone agreed to head straight to the hotel. Thank god!

The hotel is pretty decent. Clean room, spacious bathrooms and nice pool. On top of that, its just a 5-mins walk from Patong Beach.

The hotel's walk-in rates (cheaper online!)

We didn’t waste much time and head straight to the beach.

It was spectacular.

~Cheers!

4 comments:

Lynda said...

Your trips sure have something funny!

Unknown said...

and i truly wonder why!

Surin Beach Hotel said...

We are planning to visit Phuket in mid-April
Thank you for posting.
I've been looking at some of the posts on this website to get an idea about travel in Phuket for my next vacation.

Unknown said...

My pleasure. Thank you for reading.

Water Business!

Let’s talk about one of the most important consumer items — water, or more precisely bottled water (be it still, reverse osmosis or whatev...