Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Why is God always an afterthought?


Religion is a beautiful thing and our world is filled with a plethora of faiths that make it that much more interesting. While we may practice different religions and pray to different gods, one message is universal and that is the message of love and peace. No religion preaches hate and violence. Unfortunately, it’s fanatics who taint the image and the word of god.

I am a firm believer of God, the almighty. I wish I can do more to be connected to Him. But this post is not about my relationship with god. It’s about how god is treated by us.

You are welcome to disagree with me on this, but for the most part we are guilty of only reaching out to god when we want something. Whether it’s passing an exam or getting that dream job, we are only thinking of god when something is at stake. And of course, thank the almighty when have achieved our goal. That’s even if we remember him after getting what we wanted.

Just ask yourself, when was the last time you took the time to reach out to god and thanked him for the small things? 

Even if you’re not religious, I’m sure you’ve heard people say how important it is to live in the “now”. It’s good to chase your dreams but if you’re too focused on thinking of the future, sometimes you forget to live in the present and that’s when you will start to lose out. Stop and smell the roses, they were afterall the creation of the almighty.

That is what I mean when I put out the question, why is god always an afterthought?  

On the other end of this spectrum are those who push god’s image to the forefront, and not in a flattering way. And this is the thing that really bothers me, when some people use the image god as part of a decoration or even worst, for personal gains. I have been to clubs or bars where I have seen large sculptures of Buddha as part of their decoration.

Although I am not a Buddhist, I find that using people’s religion in such a manner incredibly offensive and disrespectful. I don’t have a problem with clubs and all the partying, dancing and drinking that goes on there but you should not do it in front of someone’s god. In fact, the statues of Buddha should not belong in there at all!

These instances are not limited to clubs though as I have noticed the same practice at massage parlours. The owners happily place images and sculptures of Buddha. I can only shake my head and think about how people have lost touch with religion. Massage is not part of Buddhism. Hence, it is not right to place the sculptures in massage centres.

Some of you may disagree and point out that in Thailand they have sculptures or images of Buddha in their business premises, including massage centres. I must remind you that they put it on proper praying altars, and it is not a decoration piece.

I cannot compute why some people find it appropriate to place a statue of someone’s god in a massage room, where people are usually half naked. That is just plain wrong.

My point is:
Regardless of what religion you practice, you should treat your own god right. And also treat others’ god right - just because it’s not your religion, it doesn’t mean you can use any images or sculptures as a decoration item or in any inappropriate manner.



PS: I also feel a lot architects in Malaysia forgot to factor in praying area (surau) during construction of buildings, which is why Surau are usually located at parking area —completely disconnected with the design of buildings and space. An afterthought. 

No comments:

Water Business!

Let’s talk about one of the most important consumer items — water, or more precisely bottled water (be it still, reverse osmosis or whatev...