Friday, July 15, 2011

Christian Dior: deuxième partie


(Christian Dior : Part Two)

After a successful first day at Christian Dior (CD) and earning RM200.76 in commission, i went back to my hostel feeling good lah, thinking I did so bloody well. And then a friend said something that woke me up.

CD has its own followers and most of the people that goes to the counter already have the intention to buy. Its not you. Its the product. Jangan perasan.

I agreed with my friend. And then i realised : It also means people who walk around the fragrance area are also thinking of buying perfumes. Apart from the usual CD customers, i need to tackle the rest of the people too.

So, i google-ed about Christian Dior perfumes and study the fragrances. Of course, i need to know about the competitors too, as people like to compare.

I went back the next day with a little more knowledge but full of determination to sell sell and sell! I manage to sell about 9 bottles of Dior Addict and 18 bottles J’adore.

Not bad lah.

But along the way, people start asking about lipstick, make-up and skincare stuff. I had to pass them to the manager or the permanent staff as i absolutely have no idea. (Hey i'm only paid to sell perfumes!)

That was how i spent my weekends for about 6-7 months. I was lucky because CD asked me to work regularly. My friend on the other hand work with various brands from different companies. He also does big promos with bigger incentives. I tak berani sangat coz competition is tough (20 promoters) and i'm very comfortable with CD. (loyal ok !)

And one fine day, the manger called me asking if i could work during Chinese New Year holidays. They need someone to work for 3 days and the basic payment is RM100 + 4% commission (per day).

I said no problemo and made arrangements.

On the first day of CNY, i open the counter by myself and the manager came slightly later in her red Cheongsam. She stayed for couple of hours and i told her to go as i was confident i could handle everything. Before she left, she told me to be careful when entertaining customers who wants to buy skincare.

"You need to know what you are selling because you don't want to give wrong product to customers. And if you don't know, don't make something up. We don't want angry customers"

I told her I got it under control and walk her out of the counter. Within minutes, customers came and ask about lipstick and make up. The fact that I am useless in that department kicks in and I almost freak out.

But I can’t let my stupidity effect the sales. So, i just belasah. I ask them to try the lipstick on and told them the truth. If I can recall it correctly, I said to one customer that she look old with that kind of make-up. Her face turn black.

As people say it, practice made perfect. I got to sell loads of lipstick. I went into the inventory and see which color has the most stock, and start promoting those.

On the third day of CNY, the manager came and did her sales report. She look at me and asked :

Manager : Boy, you sold Serum ?
Me : Yes, 2 boxes!
Manager : How did u explain to the customer ??
Me : I didnt have to.
Manager : She know the product?
Me : I have no idea
Manager : Then how ?
Me : She was Japanese and didn't speak English.

Later on, another lady in gold Cheong Sam came. She was very beautiful (and look very rich). I was screaming "Jackpot" in my mind as she approaches.

So I greeted her nicely and ask if she’s interested in trying any of the perfume. And I realised she smelled like Dior Addict. So I asked if she is using it already.

She was happy to know I recognise the scent. And then, in a split second, the manager came and chat with her in Chinese language.

Well, she must be a regular customer then.. dammit. There goes my sale..!

After a while, she step out of the counter and approaches me. She gave me a red envelope and said "Keep up the good work".

I was like what the hell just happen? The manager told me she’s the big boss of CD.

***

The exhaustion of standing 12 hours a day for 3 consecutive days just went away when i found out my salary for that 3 days was RM2,200 + RM100 ang pow.

I had a wonderful experience working as fragrance promoter. Other than CD, I did a couple of promoter job with other brands.

I must say, the job was a ground for me to exercise my marketing and PR skills. I learn so many important things which I still use till today.

  • One must accept challenge and just do it
  • One must know the product well
  • One must never lie or pretend to know
  • One must know who your target market are, and how to get them
  • One must communicate well

And lastly;

One must get your ass up and work hard to get paid. The harder you work, the more money you get.

~Cheers!

No comments:

Water Business!

Let’s talk about one of the most important consumer items — water, or more precisely bottled water (be it still, reverse osmosis or whatev...